Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Connectivism



How has networking changed the way you learn?
Networking has opened up my learning to a world of new possibilities. No longer should you expect to gain knowledge only from one arena. Most people think you can only learn in a school, at a workplace or maybe even a church, but everytime you interact, there is a possibility to gain some knowledge. It doesn't even have to be with a physical being, a form of technology can provide that same benefit.

Which digital tool best facilitate learning for me?
The digital tool that best facilitates learning for me would have to be, if I had to choose, search engines. They provide you with connections to so much information in which you can choose from. Using these tools, I have found technical information which allowed me to fix my computer and other electronics in my home. I have also used it to locate medical information in research of certain illnesses and found ways in which to deal with them. This is only some of the ways search engines have helped me obtain information.

How do you learn new knowledge when you have questions?
I learn new knowledge when I have questions by my favorite digital tool, the search engine. I normally go to ask.com or google.com to search for information. A lot of information can be retrieved from a search, but the important thing is to make sure the information picked is relevant information for the topic being inquired upon and that the other stuff that does not pertain is disregarded. I also make sure the information is from a legitimate source according to the importance of the reason the information is needed. In addition, prior to getting on the Internet and using search engines, I resort to my family members like my mother and father for their knowledge on things I believe they will be experts on. If they do not know, I could then go to other members of my family and friends, those who I believe can best answer the questions. However, one good characteristic about using the search engine for information is that it is confidential to a certain point. No one knows what information you are trying to acquire.

2 comments:

  1. Terrific mind map!!

    I agree in that every interaction brings the opportunity to learn something new. It always amazes me when someone says they cannot learn anything new - they are old. Simply not true. Learning keeps the mind active and can keep one young. It is energizing!

    I love using various search engines. One thing I do use is the references of others. for example - if I check out a site or a document - I like to look to see where they gathered their information. Often following the chain of reference will lead to a very powerful source of knowledge.

    I too look to my parents for some information. for example - my father is a pharmacist - who better to ask about medications and specific medical conditions when the physician is too hard to understand. There is no replacing experience when it comes to seeking knowledge.

    As for confidentiality - it is hard to come by with so much technology making it easier for people to steal your identity or to go through your email. But it is the same with any source of information - there is a risk. One just has to be careful and choose wisely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting you also choose a surface web tool rather than a deep web tool to gather information. How do you view the learning provided to us through the Walden library databases?

    ReplyDelete